Saturday, September 12, 2015

Saturday musings...

My heart goes out to all those affected by the horrible fires in California (and many other states, I'm sure!).  My entire extended family is being affected by the Butte Fire in the Sierra Nevada area.  My brothers and their families have already been evacuated from their homes, while my sister, her family, and my mom have their cars packed and ready to go when they are told it's time to go.  This is the area where my husband and I grew up, so there is lots of family and lifelong family friends all through this area....many of whom are fire fighters.  I just pray the firefighters are able to contain it before it gets any closer the most populated areas.  It's burned over 60,000 acres already.  



This is a picture my sister sent of the main highway off the mountain...just crazy!

This is the sun from her back porch...apparently it's "snowing" ash...

I just pray and thank God for those firefighters for running TO this massive thing and working so hard to save the homes.

I feel hopeless being so far away.  Nothing much I can do, but pray.  And sew.  :)  I did finish the Bitty Blocks for September.  The Sawtooth Star is probably my most favorite block of all time...with the mini 9 patch ranking right up there with it.  I just love these 4" stars. 

Also, I realized I never told you about my new sewing machine.  I found it on Craig's List and the seller lives almost around the corner and is a fellow quilter.  It's going to be perfect to take to workshops and classes so I don't have to drag my "big" machine.  It sews perfectly.  I don't typically name my machines, but these featherweights seem to need a name.  I looked up what the most popular name was for 1955 (for the year the machine was made)...and it was Mary.  Hmmm....and then one night a thought occurred to me.  I bought the machine in Virginia.  My grandmother's name was Mary Virginia.

So here she is...Mary Virginia...I think she would like it....  

Happy Quilting...

~Michelle

12 comments:

  1. Mary Virginia is gorgeous! Enjoy sewing on her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a difficult thing to have so many loved ones so close to the wildfire! I'll pray for them to be safe, along with the firefighters!
    Lovely new machine. I'm thinking mine might be the same year--and I LOVE it for classes! And how nice to find another quilter nearby. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love Mary Virginia! She looks like she is in perfect condition, too! Prayers are going up for your friends and family. Hopefully, our brave firefighters will be able to get it out soon and safely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your itty bitty blocks are wonderful! Enjoy Mary Virginia! Prayers for all those affected by the fires. May your loved ones remain safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sad...praying for all involved. Love your little blocks. So very cute.
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  6. An awful time for your family, I do hope your loved ones (and many more) stay safe. I love your stars... and Mary Virginia, such a grand name :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary Virginia it is! Sorry for your families that are so close to the fires. Prayers for their safety, as well as for those that are fighting the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fires are so scary! I hope everyone stays safe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live in neighboring El Dorado County and the smoke here is terrible so I just cannot imagine what it is like where your family and friends are!! Our fire season has been just terrible, thank goodness for those brave fire fighters!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I pray they will all be safe. The fires are terrible here.

    My aunt and MIL were both Mary Virginias. Great name for a beautiful machine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prayers for the safety of your family and friends! I love your new Featherweight and her name! I agree........the featherweights like to have names! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, Prayers for everyone in the Danger zones....All my machines have names, their feelings get hurt if you don't...Great name.
    I'm a Die Hard Bonniac since around 2009ish. my 1st mystery is still my fave..RRCB.
    Debra in Ma.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!