Monday, December 21, 2015

Merry Christmas--December Update!!

It's been forever since my last post...yada, yada, yada...seems like that's my new motto here on the blog.  I've loved this blog over the years, but it just seems like I can't stay motivated to keep posting.  I know I have a few (a couple?) readers out there and even some that have asked why no new posts.  I do plan to stick with blogging though...some days/weeks, I just feel like I don't have a lot to share.  I also haven't been reading/commenting on my favorite blogs either...that needs to change too! 

Anyway...here is an update from the last six weeks.  (of what I can remember anyway...)

The week after Labor Day, I went on a quilt retreat.  This retreat was with my sewing group I was part of when I lived in Delaware.  I was so excited when they invited me back now that I am close enough to join them again.  I can't believe it's been a month ago!!  The retreat is held at the Beacon Motel in Lewes.  What you can't see, to the left of the hotel, is Mare's Bears Quilt Shop.  Not only did we have 5 days of non-stop sewing/quilting...we had daily (or 2-3 times daily) shopping trips to an awesome quilt shop!  Heaven!


Here is my spot...I took my featherweight and she sewed like a dream!

We were all set up in the lobby of the hotel.  It's still an open/functioning hotel...just the end of the season and not many guests.  We stayed in the rooms right up stairs.

Front entrance to the lobby...there were 28 quilters!!


One of our retreat projects was to make a bag/bucket...everyone brings little goodies to share with everyone, and these bags were used to collect all the loot.  I sort of made up my own thing...I'm happy with how it turned out...

We also swapped polka dot strips!   

 After returning home from retreat, I finished this tshirt quilt for a customer.  He was super happy with the end result!

 I finished this super cute baby quilt for our newest great-nephew, Ronan.

This picture shows the truest colors....I found the backing at Mare's Bears while at retreat!

I followed along with Temecula Quilt Company's "We Wish You A Mini Christmas" sew along.  This was so fun...each day for 12 days, they shared a mini quilt block.  Each block took just a few minutes...so even if I didn't have a lot of time to sew one day, I usually could squeeze in 10 minutes to make that day's block.  Each block finishes at 2 1/4".  Now to decide on a setting...but that'll have to wait until after Christmas.

And then of course....there is the Quiltville Mystery.  I've been keeping up with the steps, but I've put off sharing much...because of this...can you see it?

I'm making mine 1/2 size...as in miniature.  I saw someone else do it a couple years ago on another mystery and I loved it.  About 8-10 years ago, I made a couple of BIG Thimbleberries quilts 1/2 size...but I had the whole pattern in front of me when I did it.  My biggest concern with making a mystery half size, is that I'll have done all this work and somehow it won't work out right.

So far, it's all going okay...I just hope it continues!  Stay tuned....  :)  Here are steps 1-3.

 I have six sets of step 4 done and I'm sewing them when I get a minute in between baking and other Christmas preparations.  Always at this point, I'm anxious to see what the end result will be...but on the other hand...I need the world to slow down, so I'm fine waiting....

Don't forget to check out everyone's progress on the mystery on the Quiltville blog (click here)!

I'm excited for the new year...I joined the local quilt guild and joined their UFO Challenge.  I have a retreat in January and March with some quilty friends, a class with Pat Speth in February, the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival (that is just down the road from me)...plus lots of family stuff...it's going to be a great start to the New Year.

We are going to have both kids home for Christmas and I am so blessed and thankful for that.  It's been a couple years since they've both been home at the same time...I want to cherish every moment of it.  I'm so excited for this week!  My wish for you is for a very Merry Christmas spent with those you love...and maybe a little sewing mixed in too!


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle

20 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you again, Michelle. I've been wondering if you were just needing extra time to settle into a routine in your new home. : )
    I should comment on all the other great stuff in your post, but I am so excited that you are doing Bonnie's mystery mini sized, I can't think about anything else.
    You go, girl!! Can't wait to see it come together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle, I'm glad to see you are still posting :-) I love seeing the new projects and keeping up with bloggers' adventures. My own blog is a bit on the subdued side...as I am ;-) but I'm keeping it up partly as a way to connect with others in blog quilting land and also to keep track of what quilts I've made. The scrapbook that was supposed to be where I kept track of things never really got started.
    The quilt that caught my eye in your post is the adorable baby quilt you made for your new great nephew. That is beautiful! We are welcoming in a new nephew in January and a new niece in June. Thank goodness my brother's sons are keeping the family growing!
    Can't wait to see how your Allietare growing. The mini idea sounds wonderful! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle! Glad to see your update! I am one of your faithful readers, although I am very bad about leaving a comment. Love to see all that you make and love reading about all your adventures, especially those with Bonnie! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mystery mini? It looks like it is working great so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that you're putting your own spin on Bonnie's Mystery Quilt - will anxiously watch as it progresses. Your retreat must have been a lot of fun - it's been ages since I did something like that. All those polka dots are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Mini Mystery sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your bag bucket! Would it be possible to share where you got the pattern to sew it. Cute idea to store things in sewing room. ⭐️⭐️⭐️

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your selvage bag! I really have to get to work on the t-shirt quilt I'm making...the one you did looks great! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's hard to be consistent on the blog, there's so much other stuff going on. You've done pretty well keeping up with Bonnie's Mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Love that bag!! your mystery is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your itty bitty mystery blocks. I like small pieces but didn't think about doing the mystery that way. Can't wait to see how it comes together.

    Hope you stick with blogging. I've always enjoyed your quilts and posts.

    Merry Christmas.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great projects, Michelle. Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas together and all the best in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your selvage basket. The aqua quilt is gorgeous too.

    I can't wait to see your Allietare quilt downsized. I hope it all works out for you with the measurements.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to see your mini!! When I attended the Bonnie Hunter workshop in September, one of the guild members has made all of Bonnie's patterns in mini! Even the Tumbler leader/ender project...they were so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you've had a fun 6 months full of quilting.

    Your selvage bucket bag is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that polka dot strip fabric. You have been busy, the units for Clue #4 are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love those polka dot strips! Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you blogged for us, I know what you mean about not always keeping up with it! Love your little Temecula blocks...I look forward to making that every year. LOVE the mini mystery idea..looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. As a teacher, I understand not always having time to blog or check blogs. Have a merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Michelle, you're singing my song. lol January 6th will be one year since I posted on my blog and since facebook, I look for the "like" button on blogs. I haven't stopped by many either. Love your quilts and mystery blocks. I'll keep watching for the finished top. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!