I'm so excited to share two quilty finishes! Recently, I signed up for a UFO Challenge with the local guild here in town. Every other month, they will pick a random number and we'll pick that number off our list to finish. Since the challenge is just getting started this month, we were to finish #1 on our list. First on my list is Oklahoma Backroads. This is from a workshop I took with Bonnie Hunter in March 2012. I've had this top done, except for borders, since I went to retreat in November 2012!! Why, why, why??? I pulled it out, added borders and loaded it on the machine for quilting. I just love the scrappiness of it. I look at all the different fabrics and can remember when I bought them, where I used them, maybe someone gave it to me...so many memories!
It's all from my stash, including the backing. I bought a bolt of this fabric for $3/yard from Burkholders a couple years ago...I've just about used all of it up with this quilt.
I surprised myself using the brown for a border...but it's perfect, if I do say so myself! I tend to always choose blues or reds...but I didn't have enough of anything in my stash to work. Then I pulled out this brown....LOVE!! I used the same fabric as the back for the binding...using a light fabric for binding is something I don't do often either...but it works!!
My second finish is the Quiltville Mystery "Allietare!" I'm always motivated to finish these mysteries...I've finished six of the seven I've participated in. The first one is the one still unfinished!!
Anyway...here it is before quilting. My cat is exceptionally
large, e'hem, big boned. But this picture gives an idea of the size. It's half-sized from the original pattern. All the grey half square triangles and small black squares finish at 3/4".
I believe this was my first attempt at a scalloped border...if I've done it before, I don't remember! LOL I used a small Fiesta bowl as the template, and I have to say...this part worked out remarkably well. Actually sewing the binding on...hmmm, not so much. I needed about two other hands to maneuver the binding, quilt, presser foot up and down, etc. But I just went for it!
It's not perfect...but the best part is, sewing it up and hiding all those wonky seams!! I did a 2" bias binding as Bonnie recommends. She has some great tutorials on Clue 6 of her pattern.
Ta-da!! I love the scalloped binding! As tough as it was, I would do it again...it gives it a fun, whimsy effect. I would be fun for a baby quilt. It's far from perfect, and I can see the flaws...but I love it anyway!
I hung it up on that same fence as Oklahoma Backroads above...to get an idea of the size again...
The black has a small grey print...but doesn't really show in the picture. I used a thread called Cookie Dough, which is a muted gold...
Leftovers on the back! The camera had a hard time with this red on the back and that grey is the same as the grey on the front...it looks almost blue in this picture!
This corner is what the red really looks like....
Just can't thank Bonnie enough for another fun mystery!! Mystery quilts are not my favorite...but Bonnie's never disappoint!!