Wednesday, January 13, 2016

WIP Wednesday -- Bitty Blocks

Since January 2015, I've been sewing along with Quiltmaker Magazine's "Bitty Blocks."  Each month, a new 3" or 4" block pattern was released on their blog.  You could make as many or as few as you wanted.  About March or April, they gave us an idea for a row quilt for our blocks.  I made 16 of the 3" and 12 of the 4", based on the size of one of the layout ideas.  It's been soooo fun making these blocks each month.  ALL the blocks have been made from my scrappy stash of squares and strips...so it's been easy to get a wide variety of fabrics.

I was finally able to catch up with December's blocks...3" pinwheels.  I made these with 2 1/2" squares.  So simple...but I love them!

I should have been sewing in rows all year as I went along...but nooo...I didn't do that!  Next step was to get all the rows sewn together....

But there were more blocks needed!  I needed three rows of flying geese.  Of course, they are itty bitty flying geese...finishing at 1" x 2".   I turned to my box of 1 1/2" squares for the sew and flip method...can you believe I had enough pairs of squares for 150 flying geese?  If you look close at that box...it doesn't look like much of a dent was made either!!  

Instead of totally scrappy, I thought using one colorway would help tie it all together.  I had some left over red strips from another project and cut the rectangles I needed.  It took a few days to get them all sewn...but look at those pretty geese all lined up! 

All ready for sashing strips!  I'm still deciding what to use/how to sash it.  I'm really trying to use only fabrics from my stash and so far I haven't found a big enough piece to use for sashing.  If I use all the same fabric, I'll need a yard...if not, I'll do a scrappy sashing too.  I'm still working on it! 

I really didn't expect to love this project so much!  I did enjoy making the blocks each month...but seeing it come together now...it's just so fun and scrappy.  I love it more each time I look at it! Hopefully, I'll have more progress to share soon with sashing and final borders!

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle

13 comments:

  1. So much to look at!! I love scrappy quilts. That must be why I make them all the time! Is this super heavy? Sooooo compelling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the row quilt! I noticed the top row of the flying geese are pointing opposite that the other two rows. I just love the scrappy goodness you got going on!

    Panto Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really beautiful. Using the same color for all the flying geese really does tie it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is looking great! I love the flying geese rows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness, it looks awesome, I need to get mine finished and made into a flimsy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great collection of flying geese! The row by row quilt turned out beautiful.
    Oh yes...how our scraps fill the box right back up...I am very familiar.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely delightful quilt of little blocks! LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Row quilts are SO much fun, and yours is spectacular! What a lot of work - but worth it in the end. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi. I came over from Humble Quilts to check you out!! I am now following you & plan to catch up on back posts☺️

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is gorgeous! I wound up counting blocks to guess at the dimensions -- is that the final size you're going for?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun looking row quilt. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soooo cute when you put them in little rows1

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!