Monday, February 29, 2016

A super QUILTY week!!

Last week was superweek for me as far as quilting goes...every day was filled with quilting adventures galore.  I was exhausted by the end of the week...but it was definitely worth it!!

First up, I finished the binding on my Bitty Blocks row quilt.  This was a year long block of the month project hosted by Quiltmaker magazine in 2015.  Each month on their blog was a different 3" or 4" "bitty" block to make.  This quilt was incredibly fun to make and I just love it.  I love the row by row design...and all the tiny blocks.  So fun!  The checkerboard border is made from 4 patches I had made for another sew along that I didn't get very far along with...and when I realized they would work for this project, I decided to scrap the other "unfinished" project and use them up!!  Perfect!!


On Sunday...I traveled to Dover, Delaware.  I stayed with my friend, Lisa, and we attended a TWO day workshop with Pat Speth, the "Nickel Quilts" author and designer.  She also presented a lecture and trunk show Monday evening.

Pat has come up with so many incredible ideas for using 5" squares...it's amazing.  I'm only sorry that I only got this one sad picture of her design wall.  LOL  She had some amazing blocks up there.  It was a great two day workshop and I left feeling very inspired to cut some of my stash in to 5" squares and get to making some amazing quilts!  I did work on a project over the two days, but didn't get any pictures of it...I'll share that soon in another post.

I returned home late Tuesday night, because the next day was the day my new "sewing bee" was meeting....they've been meeting for a while, but I'd recently been invited to join and it was the first time I was free to attend.  We met at a local library and it was fun stitching and chatting, until our phones started alerting a tornado warning!  Really?!  The library staff ushered us into an interior room while we waited out the storm...it was still fun...we just continued the chatter there.  :)

Thankfully the storm cleared, because Wednesday night was preview night for the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival!  After a quick dinner, I headed over (only about 6 miles from my house!!) and met up with a couple of friends....



I have "known" Debbie (left) and Fran (right) for about about 10 years through an online quilting group...we've swapped fabric, quilt blocks, secret sister exchanges, etc, over the years.  In that time, we've also watched kids grow up and marry, grandbabies come along and shared many other milestones of our lives.  Debbie lives here locally, so I have met up with her a couple of times since moving to the area.  Fran lives in North Carolina and comes to the show every year, so it was the first opportunity to meet her face to face.  So awesome to finally meet...they are both really sweet and just like I knew they'd be after sharing so much of our lives over the years.

When the doors to the quilt show finally opened, I almost made a beeline to the Primitive Gatherings booth!  And look who was there!!  I was so excited to meet Lisa Bongean...she was so nice and within minutes of talking, I felt like we'd been friends forever.  She is so down to earth.  I loved that she talked to everyone coming through the booth all the while, stitching on a wool project.  LOL

We spent the rest of Wednesday evening browsing all the vendor booths...and came back Thursday morning before the doors opened!!  LOL  We browsed more of the vendor booths and also looked at the quilts hanging for the quilt show.

I took Friday "off" and stayed home trying to catch up on real life, but this is where I was all day Saturday...back at the festival in a wool class with Lisa!  Yay!!

I just can't say enough what a great teacher she is...I've taken a lot of classes throughout my quilty life and she is at the top of the list of favorites.  If you ever get a chance...I highly recommend taking a class with her.

Here is the project we made in class...I've continued to work on it this weekend and have just a bit more stitching left to do.  It was a quick and easy one!  I can't wait to finish it up and share the whole project with you.

Whew...it was a great week!!  Now to buckle down at home and get back to the real world.  LOL

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle









5 comments:

  1. Wow, Michelle, you were really living the quilty life! I think you exceeded the allowable limit of fun!
    I echo all you said about Lisa. I have taken two classes from her and attended two trunk shows of hers. She is down-to-earth, real, and friendly--and the best of teachers!
    I love the wool project you are making. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, for got to say how much I LOVE the row quilt. I watched as you were making this wishing I was making it. So happy to see the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great week!! And to conclude it all with a Primitive Gatherings class...you are blessed! I bet she had lots of great tips for working with the wool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep....really busy week and how fun was meeting girls from your online chatting. That is how I met one of my most favorite friends and we are sewing buddies now....lived in same town and didn't know. Glad you had a great week and sounds like you need a break to recoup and sew now...;)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great week! I am so in love with your bitty blocks quilt. Since we moved back in June mine hasn't gotten any attention. I am beginning to get settled and will hopefully get back to it again. We were in an apartment for 6 months. I miss Cheyenne!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!