Wednesday, February 03, 2016

WIP Wednesday...and a couple finishes...

 I think I've shared my Buttermilk Basin Block of the Month from 2015.  Each month, Stacy shared a free pattern for a cute wool applique block.  Then, in January 2016, she revealed the final layout of the blocks...here is a picture of Stacy's quilt.  



I really like the setting, so I decided to forge ahead and make the 239 1.5" half square triangles...I used the Easy Angle ruler.  I love it because there is no trimming and it makes perfectly sized triangles.


The next step was to sew them into strips of 9 like this.  I sewed all the strips and started to stitch them to the blocks.  I REALLY thought I was sewing them in the right direction....but then I took a closer look. 
If you look at the original above, you'll see the triangles are turned a different way.  It's the HSTs that are sewn wrong, not the strips.  Ugh...oh well, I was not going to unsew all those triangle strips!!  I actually like them this way and it really didn't make a lot of difference!

Here is mine all sewn together.  I love it so much!!  I'm a little intimidated to quilt it as it will need some "custom" work...but I'll do the best I can.  I'm just not super confident in that area.


The block of the month was such a success...Stacy is offering another one for this year!!  You can head over to Buttermilk Basin and download your free pattern.  I think it'll spell "Let it Snow!"  :)  
(I promise I'll find some mini buttons for my snowman's eyes!!)


I joined a sew along with A Needle Pulling Thread Quilt Shop...@anptquiltshop and/or #52weekstarchallenge, if you're on Instagram.  I thinks she's also on Facebook.  The challenge is to make one sawtooth star each week for 52 weeks. Sounds easy enough, right?  ::wink::  Can you believe we are five weeks into the year already??!!

Just today, I finished this Mondo Bag...the fabric is from an old jelly roll I've had hanging around.  These bags are made from a printed/grid fusible interfacing, so the assembly is pretty easy.

I forgot to show this little table topper I whipped up a couple weeks ago.  Remember the Bitty Blocks quilt I showed before?  I had a few extra basket blocks...then added a few HSTs from another project...a couple 9 patches from something else...and voila!!  

Perfect little table topper for a square breakfast table.  (can you see Chloe watching the birds from her perch?)

Well, that catches you up with what's going on in my sewing room!  What are you up to?

Happy Quilting!
~Michelle

9 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed that you have your Buttermilk Basin top all together. It looks great--who cares which way the HSTs are facing?
    I'm trying so hard to resist her new SAL. My UFOs are crying for attention, but it is SO cute!
    Great looking bag--and I LOVE the table topper! Nice work all around, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your projects, great to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job on your Buttermilk Basin. All those stars, I finished a star quilt last year and am giving myself a break on stars. Love HST's borders

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - so much progress! I love the way Stacy finished the mystery from last year, and your is just perfect - IMO it doesn't make a bit of difference which direction those HSTs are sewn on. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Buttermilk Basin BOM turned out great! I like the direction your HSTs are going better than the planned version, and your green border really frames it nicely. Our quilting friends don't call them mistakes, they are "design opportunities!" :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big lol on your triangle strips being put together "wrong". I don't see any problem, you made the pattern your own and it's lovely. I also have the same baskets left from the Bitty Blocks and want to make a small quilt with them. But first I want to finish the quilt from retreat. I don't want to be rushing to finish next January! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such fun projects Michelle and love your color choices. There were lots of half square triangles there but what a great effect they add and sure makes a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your table topper and your assortment of wonderful projects! The wool must be so fun to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your table topper and your assortment of wonderful projects! The wool must be so fun to play with!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!