Monday, March 28, 2016

End of March Update

Whew...can you believe it's already almost the end of March?  I know everyone says it...but the time just flies!  I haven't been quilting or sewing as much as I'd like as we've been doing a few home improvement type projects around the house.  Even when someone else is here to do the work, it really just disrupts the routine...you know?  

Last week, I was able to get away from all the mess, dust, and chaos and attend another wonderful retreat at the Cocalico Quilters' Inn.  This is just an amazing place for a quilt retreat...if you and your group are ever looking for a place, you must consider it!

I "borrowed" this picture off of the website, and they have landscaped and made it look a little more homey...but it was nice to be there in a -little- warmer weather this time.  The last two times I've been there, we've had snow.  It was still chilly this year, but at least the ground was green and the sun was shining!

There were 12-13 of us and we all had plenty of space to spread out with a table of our own. 

I think this was taken the last night and some of the ladies had already packed their machines and started cleaning up...

The biggest project I wanted to accomplish while at retreat was to put together an old UFO.  First up, I needed to assemble these blocks.  I had all the 9-patches made, they just needed to be assembled into this bigger block.  All 20 blocks went together lickety split.  I had precut all the setting triangles at home, and the other blocks used in the quilt had been assembled for years...so the next step was to sew the rows together....

And tada!!  This is one of the oldest UFO's I have and I'm so happy to get it to this point.  I don't remember why I didn't finish it...but I think I had a plan to do something different.  There were a few non-pattern units in the box...but I don't remember what I was going to do with them!!  LOL  In the end, I love it this way after all.  Not sure when it will get quilted, but that's okay!  By the way, this is a Bonnie Hunter mystery called "Double Delight."  She still has the pattern available for free on her website!!


I also sewed a few of these Star Challenge blocks.  If you're on Facebook or Instagram, "A Needle Pulling Thread" quilt shop (@anptquiltshop) is doing this challenge to make one star block each week.  Last year, she used the churn dash block and I was sorry I didn't join in.  I haven't done them weekly, but I've been doing 2-3 at a time.  I think I might even be a week ahead now!  :)  I find it easier to cut for multiple blocks at a time, then they are ready to sew when I have a few minutes here and there.


Of course, Burkholders quilt shop is only about a mile from the retreat house...so multiple trips were taken by all the quilters!  Lookie what I bought...BATIKS!!  I have rarely purchased batik fabrics...I bought a few for Megan's quilt, but this is the first time I needed to choose batiks, and only batiks, for a new quilt I plan to start.  I don't think I'll get started on it until the summer, so stay tuned!!


Another goal for retreat was to assemble this little quilt top.  It's a "Frivols" project, #7 by Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings.  It was a fun little top to put together...but I really didn't think it would take me two days!!!  LOL 

I happy with all I accomplished and enjoyed getting to know all the ladies at retreat.  I'm ready to go again!!  :)  

Hopefully, I'll be quilting by the end of the week.  We are having new carpet installed upstairs, so EVERYTHING had to be moved, the longarm was disassembled as well...we got everything moved out fairly quickly, but I just wonder how long it will take to get it all back in order.  :P

Happy Quilting!

~Michelle

6 comments:

  1. Wow, you got a lot accomplished at retreat! You must be good at focusing. : )
    Great Bonnie quilt--love it!
    Your batik selection is beautiful. Look forward to seeing your plans for those.
    Good looking stars.
    And, of course, I LOVE the little finish. So tempting to go start a little "Lisa" project when I see that, but I already have one going, so I need to focus!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some very nice finishes. Those little quilters are foolers--they are small and look simple until you start working on them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with post carpet, I am putting mine off because the prospect of moving furniture fills me with horror! Love your finished quilt top, stars and nine patches together - a winning combination! Such a sweet mini too, all those HST around the border, looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The retreat location looks fabulous! My daughter has gotten into two colleges in PA so far--Lehigh and Franklin & Marshall. It looks like we will have to make a trip out to visit in a few weeks--maybe I can get in a quilt shop visit too. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness - your Double Delight is a feast for the eyes - as usual, your sense of color is beautiful. Thanks for the tip on the retreat area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful choice of colors on your Double Delight! You have a special gift. Thanks for the tip on the Retreat location.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from my blog friends! I had to disable "Anonymous" comments though. Thanks for stopping by!!